This is a volunteer position
We are looking for a dynamic, detail-oriented individual to join our team to support the ongoing organization’s volunteer program. The purpose of this job is to grow the volunteer base over time and make sure volunteers have the best possible working conditions, therefore contributing to the efficient and professional delivery of VLACC’s programs, processes, and services across the organization.
Are you ready?
You are a resourceful individual who enjoys continuous learning and building relationships within the community, who appreciates multiculturalism – someone who has a creative mind for problem-solving and fantastic customer service skills. You are people-oriented and take pride in your work. You have great common sense. You understand how proven H.R. processes and procedures help organizations find the best talent and keep their volunteers engaged. To that end, you will ensure interviews are appropriately scheduled in a timely way and that volunteers are adequately supported. You are ready to roll up your sleeves, get hands-on, and get the work done. You also enjoy the company of other like-minded, hardworking organization members who value and encourage each other and push one another to excel.
Support volunteer recruitment and retention activities including but not limited to:
- Create job descriptions for various volunteer tasks along with the Executive Director and Committees’ Chairs;
- Coordinate and maintain the posting of all open positions;
- Make sure all paper work related to volunteers are completed and filed;
- Volunteer recruitment and screening, including interviewing and reference checking;
- Volunteer orientation to VLACC and its mission;
- Volunteer training specific to the tasks to be performed;
- Volunteer scheduling, including tracking hours in our database so that VLACC can accurately report statistics;
- Volunteer management, including serving as the primary contact person liaising between volunteers and other leaders, solving problems, ensuring that the volunteer work environment is safe and supportive;
- Coordinate volunteer recognition and evaluation activities;
- Completion of post-secondary coursework;
- Knowledge of H.R. standards and best practices;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask in a diverse and multicultural environment;
- Keen attention to detail with strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Proven record of taking responsibility and using good judgment, including the exercise of discretion and confidentiality;
- Adaptable and flexible with a demonstrated ability to take necessary initiatives;
- Interest in Latin American culture is an asset;
- Work experience in nonprofit organizations is a definite asset.
Experience, Skills & Characteristics
- relationship building and maintenance
- team player
- effective communicator and public speaker
- leadership skills
- ability to delegate and trust
4 hours per week: communicating with volunteers. E.D., and committees’ leaders;
4 hours per week of management tasks;
8 hours per year organizing and attending the volunteer recognition event;
- great leadership experience;
- great networking opportunities and connections within the community;
- real-life experience of H.R. management.
Orientation & training required
- Thorough review of the organization’s volunteer policy and protocols;
- Access to VLACC’s database to identify, track and manage volunteers.
Length of term
This position requires a six-month minimum commitment with an option to extend.
Please send your résumé and cover letter (letting us know why you want to volunteer with VLACC) to our E.D., Lili Vieira de Carvalho firstname.lastname@example.org